Xbox 360 PS3 Wii PC DS
Tara

Steaming Time

September 14th, 2011 by Tara

Categories: PC

I admit I am not a hard-core PC gamer, which is strange since I grew up on PC games. As I grew older, I found myself seeing video games as a separate thing from my PC, and I heavily preferred console or handheld gaming. However, Steam is changing all that. Or maybe online grad school is the cause, which I figure makes sense since I’m already on the PC because of school-work, so might as well just play games on there, right?

Going back to Steam, though, I find myself trying to find more and more PC games I’d like, which suffice to say is not many because the ones I want are either restrictive in my region or are games I am just incapable of playing (ie: Call of Duty). But I figure as long as I have a few games that are enjoyable, then that’s all it matters. Aside from Dragon Age: Origins, I am getting re-acquainted with Puzzle Quest (hey, it was on sale for $3-something!), a game I’d tried on a different console a few years ago. I’ve also tried a game called Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!, which I find quite . . . bizarre. I also have Bejeweled Blitz, Myst: Masterpiece Edition, and You Don’t Know Jack, which is what made me start to use Steam regularly (yet I purchased that game from Amazon, go figure, haha!).

So far — aside from DAO — I think my PC gaming preference is more casual than my console/handheld side, which is probably what I need in between doing school-work — mindless entertainment. And since it’s a PC game, I don’t have to go to the other room to play on my console.

Do you guys have a preference with gaming? Do you prefer console, handheld, or PC?

8 Responses to “Steaming Time”

• Cat says:

I used to be a big console gamer, but now I’ve moved to mostly PC XD;; PC often seems to have better graphics and more customization. My preference order is usually PC > Xbox 360 > PS3 > Wii.

I have a couple casual games in my Steam library that I like, if you’re interested:
    Audiosurf: http://store.steampowered.com/app/12900
    Chime: http://store.steampowered.com/app/62100

• Tara says:

I did check those out, and it just made me go HUH. I don’t think I want to play something that casual! LOL. Thanks for the rec, though! <3

Well, I think I have to also be picky with my PC games. I noticed that DAO is straining my computer more than I've anticipated, so if I played anything that requires more resources than DAO, I don't think my computer will be pleased LOL.

• Robbie says:

Always have and always will be primarily a PC Gamer.

Customizable controls is a big factor. As is the fact that I can game and do something on my second monitor at the same time. Not to mention PC games are often $10 cheaper than their console versions.

General preference for gaming is such that I can pick it up and put it down whenever. Since I’m on my PC often, it’s convenient to just boot something up. DS is a natural close second. iOS products would be the same, had I an iPhone. Playing on console is too much of an event to settle in, boot up, and launch; it prevents me from being able to handle interruptions quickly and smoothly.

• Tara says:

I agree with the ease of transition of being on a PC to playing PC games compared to console, which I think has been one of my major issues in the last few years. Of course, it’d helped if my computer was in my bedroom where my consoles are, but it’s not.

I don’t have a dual monitor, but after getting into PC gaming, I can see why it’d be helpful! Right now I play all my PC games in window-mode so I can still see my other Internet stuff, but if I had another monitor, I wouldn’t have to go that route.

And you’re right. PC games are generally cheaper than console games. I hadn’t noticed that until now.

• zohar says:

I totally go through phases where I only play console games or only play portable games. I just get into a groove I guess. Recently I’ve been playing a lot of Shin Megami Tensei games on 3DS, DS, and PSP. Note: 3DS owners, Devil Survivor Overclocked is awesome. If you’re into S-RPGs.

But for consoles, it’s typically PS3 > 360 > Wii = PC.

Pretty much never play my Wii or PC… I have a handful of PC games but I NEVER get around to playing them. I really need to finish Star Craft 2… and I really should get to playing Xenoblade.

• Tara says:

S-RPGs are not my thing, but I’m glad to hear you’re having fun with it!

When it comes to my gaming preference it seems like this lately:

PC –> DS –> PS3/PS2 –> PSP. My Gamecube and PS1 and SNES are packed away. My problem is console gaming is just not my priority since I am hardly ever in my room! I think if my computer were in the same room, then I’d play more console . . . but alas, that’s not the case.

• Mars says:

My gaming preferences had been chosen even before I was born. My father had a NES, he used to play a lot around the time my mother was pregnant (being me the unborn baby). I already had three consoles before my first PC, and then, in my country we didnt have many games, even now is a little hard to find a PC game. Sadly, Steam has all the PC market, so seeing a boxed PC release is really rare (again, thats the case of my country). So yeah, I always try consoles first. For me, PC Gaming is for Indie Games, which is actually not bad!

• Tara says:

Oh, I didn’t know you lived in a different country! I thought you lived in the US :) What country do you hail from. If you don’t want to say, I understand!

And wow, I had a PC first before any console LOL. Well, it’s my dad’s PC, but still, he let me play “edutainment” games on it before I got a Gameboy and an SNES in 1995!